Update #4 (Meeting w/Surgeon) August 16, 2016
I met with the surgeon today and she remembered me from my own mother’s fight with cancer, (she was her Doctor, as well). I instantly felt peace about things, as she spoke personally with me about my situation and how it differed from my mother’s.
It was a lot of information, so I will try to recap it as simple as possible.
- Good news…She recommended surgery first and then we can wait to see if I need treatment later.
- The tumor is slighly higher than she initially thought, which will help with making surgery a little less complicated(Good news).
- There is a small possibiliy that I may have a colostomy bag until I recover (Bad news). But if surgery goes well, then I may not have it all (Good news).
- Obviously, I’m hoping for the latter, but if not, it would be temporary and reversed after recovery.
- There are some nodes, surrounding the colon, that are swollen. They will be removed with the tumor and biopsied.
- IF they come back cancerous, then I’ll need radiation and chemo (Bad news), but if they come back clean, then I won’t! (Good news).
- There is also a chance that my tumor has caused an abnormal attachment between the colon, (where the tumor is located), and the uterus.
- If so, the Doctor will attempt to separate it without complication. If she can’t, then I may need a hysterectomy, as well (Bad news). Obviously, I’m hoping for the least amount of invasion.
- Surgery will be scheduled in less than 2 weeks.
- I will be out of work for about a month, recovering.
Tomorrow, I talk to the Oncologist about the possiblity of treatment and what that may look like, if it is recommended.
I am so humbled in this process. It is not easy to talk about these things, but I’m committed to being open and transparent, not only with my treatment plan, but with my feelings & faith, as well. I know God can use all of it for a greater purpose.
I admit, I can struggle with my insecurities and start to be scared again. I can also start thinking stupid thoughts, like: “I don’t want to lose my hair!” or “I don’t want a colostomy bag!!!” I wish I could say that I didn’t struggle with that kind of pride, but I can’t. When my own Mother would say those things to me, I would immediately remind her that her life was much more important than those silly issues of vanity…and now here I am, dealing with the same issues and they’re not so silly anymore. I find myself praying for “my will” again, instead of surrendering fully to God’s.
So, I continue to ask you to please pray for me, that I would let go and trust God to get me through this, even if it is difficult; even if it is embarrassing or humbling.
My own prayers tend to be, me asking God that everything would go smooth and easy, but I am quickly reminded that God never promised me a life that would be easy…but He DID promise that He would never leave me or forsake me….I can rest in that. I can trust He will get me through this! I can let His perfect peace and love cast out all my fears and I can rejoice in the hope I have in HIM.
Thank you again for your loving support.
‘Just said a prayer for you. The Lord bless you. Be well.
The Lord is good!
Thank you so much! God bless you.
Oh Danielle not only are you beautiful inside and out but you WRITE beautifully! Your words move me. Perhaps this might be a new avenue for you during this journey… I see a book in your future!! I pray for you every day, for your girls, for your husband, for your faith and strength. You are NOT alone sister! Much LOVE. Patty
Thank you so much, Patty! I do know that I am not alone. You’re prayers mean a lot to me. God is definitely with me..I could not handle any of this without Him. Love you friend.
What beautifully written and transparently humble posts! I am so blessed to have you share your heart and journey with me. I stress about such minor things which I turn over to God only to take them back over and over again. I love the scriptures you are sharing and applying to your life through the toughest of times. I love your Heart and LOVE for Jesus. What a wonderful witness you are for your girls, clients, family, friends, and people like me…I don’t know you well….But through your sharing your heart, fears, hopes and dreams I can honestly say that I hope to become the woman of faith that you are.
I’m here, thinking about you, praying for you and your family. You bless my heart and soul.
“The Lord bless thee and keep thee,
The Lord make His face shine upon thee.
And be gracious unto thee. And be gracious unto thee.
The Lord lift up His countenance upon thee and give thee peace”.
What a beautiful scripture you have shared with me. God’s word is so healing in all circumstances for all mankind…it’s living and breathing. No problem is too big or too small for God. Continue to draw near to Him and He will draw near to you. I appreciate your encouragement and your prayers very much.
I pray you beat it. I had cancer myself cancer free since 2003
Thank you very much. I appreciate the prayers and I’m glad that you are a survivor too. God bless.
Welcome I am now a speaker to young girls who have Depression. Sure I have days or moments I feel depressed but I say out loud you will not defeat me I am stronger but there are seconds of weakness where I fell down but I dust myself off and keep going